Hi ! 👋
You have probably heard about this thing called web3 by now. In this letter we will touch upon some good sources and reflect a bit what we think web3 is.
First, a lot of sources write about web3 as a panacea focusing on blockchain and cryptocurrencies. What DIN is working towards we would say is categorised as web3, but dont need cryptocurrencies nor blockchains to work properly.
Web3 has gotten a lot of criticism from important names, the focus has primarily been on blockchain and cryptocurrency. Not so much criticism of the philosophy of trying to break up the centralised control, todays tech giants have. So lets start with some good sources and comments on web3:
- https://moxie.org/2022/01/07/web3-first-impressions.html. - Moxie is the creator of Signal and founder of Signal Foundation, an end to end encrypted chat. He is an entrepreneur, cryptographer and computer scientist.
- https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-credentials/2022Jan/0184.html - CCG is the working group for Verifiable credentials. And there are some good perspectives on how SSI and digital identity will work in web3.
- - Oreilly is a big tech knowledge hub, and here the founder himself has commented on web3. He has been around for a while and seen the web2 phase and see some of the same rythms in the web3 phase.
- https://www.profgalloway.com/web3/ - Galloway is a business professor and entrepreneur and providing a more business view on web 3. Unfortunately he do focus a lot on the cryptocurrency part of what web3 is being portrayed as.
- https://mirror.xyz/suzuha.eth/vb5E5lhzmPTcpxOJcz6Q211TDgSvoFwDLA6JSM1V37Q - comments much on Moxies view, with some more details, worth a read
With this background it is easy to see one perspective of web3. Many perspectives are about hosting servers, blockchain and cryptocurrencies. Some about the belief in decentralisation turns out to be pretty centralised.
We in DIN believe that one will not get rid of services, they are there to stay. We can get services that operate more ethically and have certain criterias from a government/tech security perspective to allow to operate as a certain service. But for these services to work together, we have to get away from the API mindset and focus on moving data with the user.
To make this option trustworthy across the internet, we do need cryptography, which is not given that it is cryptocurrency nor blockchain. But we need to securely link people, organisations, data and devices in the digital world. That is what DIN believes in as web3, and why we are on this mission. Read more about the mission here
Other news 📰 🚨
- ✍️✍️ Want to join DIN as a member and support the message, you can read about it here
- DIN & partners is planning on making a document/statement to push forward the opinion of all our members, are you interessted, reach out to us on [email protected]
Coming events 🗓
Enabling individual value creation
We will have a visit from Loonlab at Bolder Technologies talking about Enabling individual value creation and looking at the need for distributed identity for individual value creation
Academia will come and tell us about their efforst
We will have a visit from academia to listen to their efforts towards a better identity world
Go look at all our past events on our history
All our events have recordings and can be found here.
Share this newsletter with someone you think will enjoy the future of identity!
And contact us or follow us on our channels! 👇